The Secret to Your Future is Hidden in Your Daily Routine
If you take a look at your current life situation, whether it’s going well or whether you are experiencing difficulty, one thing is true:
Much of what you are experiencing right now in your life is a direct result of seeds you have sown in your past.
Just think about it:
- Do you have a happy, fulfilling marriage?
- Are you healthy and physically fit?
- Is your business thriving and producing a sufficient income for your family?
- Do you have a nest egg put away for your future and minimal debt?
- Do you have a strong circle of positive influences, friends, and mentors?
If you have any of these, they didn’t appear out of thin air. The choices you made in your past, the actions you took, the time and effort you placed into each of them reaped a harvest, and you’re walking in that harvest right now.
If you are not experiencing the things in your life you would like, I have good news for you today: The secret to your future is hidden in your daily routine. You have the ability to completely change and rewrite your future.
ALL Seeds Reap a Harvest…What Are You Sowing?
Take a look at where you are standing right now and what your daily routine consists of. I’m not just talking about the big things in your life. Take a minute to look at everything, even the little things that sometimes seem insignificant. The first step to changing your future is realizing and accepting the fact that everything (absolutely everything) will reap a harvest. Nothing is insignificant, because even small things will eventually affect the ‘big picture’ of your life.
For example, something that seems as small as sharing dinner at the table with your family is getting lost in today’s society. We may view this as a ‘small thing’, a minor adjustment, but it’s a seed that will reap a harvest. Family dinners together serve to strengthen bonds, provoke meaningful conversation, and make memories that your children will always fall back on. A conversation shared at the dinner table could change the course of your child’s life.
Do you see how even the small things add up to the big things?
The Power of Small Things
If you take a penny and compound it daily, after 31 days you would end up with over $10 million dollars ($10,737,418.24 to be exact). Why is this important? Because just like the dinner table scenario, the things you choose to add to your daily routine also become compounded over time. Put it this way, the next 12 months are going to pass anyway, whether you do anything positive or not.
What if you made the decision to listen to a teaching tape during your 30 minute drive to work? How about consuming just 150 less calories per day? These adjustments seem small, but when we make them part of our daily routine, they will reap huge rewards over time and serve to change our future.
What is Stopping You From Making Necessary Adjustments?
Unfortunately, today’s society is geared toward instant gratification. Instead of shedding two pound per month, we want to lose ten pounds in a weekend. We look for the fast track to everything. It’s the reason why people gamble. It’s the reason we accumulate debt and end up in situations we regret.
In the world of investing, it’s also the reason why so many investors are addicted to trying to ‘time the market.’ We look for financial advisors who claim to be able to pick winning investments and top performers, when our better judgment and common sense knows this is no more true than a person claiming to know tomorrow’s winning lottery numbers. No one can predict the future. There’s no fast path to investment success. Instead, by taking the time to educate ourselves on how the market works, understand the fees we are paying, and learning to properly diversify our portfolio, we will be sitting in a much better place financially 12 months from now. Unfortunately, many of us don’t decide to make these wise changes until we get good and sick of where we are in life.
In another blog post of mine, we discussed reaching the point of absolute intolerance of our present situation. This plays a big part here as well. It’s not until we become sick and tired of where we are headed that we will begin to make changes that will reshape our future. Are you ready?
What Can You Do Right Now?
Once you make minor changes to your daily routine to change where you stand a year from now, you’ll be amazed at how many more ideas will come your way. You may start with cutting calories or having dinner with your family, but positive changes ‘compound’ and turn into more positive changes.
Here are a few things you can start doing immediately to affect your future. I’m sure you will think of plenty more:
- Maybe you work for an industry that is beginning to phase out, or at least has the potential to. What are you doing about it? If you have a bent towards entrepreneurship, maybe it’s time to start building that new business on the side. You can find the extra time by cutting out a few hours of television. Maybe it’s time to finish your degree by taking a couple of evening classes each semester.
- If you are already an entrepreneur, are you continuing to grow and expand your business? When was the last time you looked at the efficiency of the way you were doing things? Are there new programs available that can streamline your invoicing or boost your marketing power? Make it a point to continue to learn and grow. Check out what your competition is doing. Often, changes they are making will spark ideas of your own.
- Take time to dream. This is almost a lost art in today’s society. If you are constantly on the go, cell phone in hand, multitasking from the minute you wake up until late in the evening, how do you expect to ever come up with new ideas? Your mind needs time to regroup, relax, and recharge. Some of the greatest business ideas were thought of while an individual was on vacation, just enjoying themselves. That’s the way we are wired. Down time brings balance. Balance brings peace. Peace brings clarity of thought. It all works together. Have you ever noticed when you are too busy, you have a hard time focusing on or understanding even the simplest things?
So, what’s the takeaway from this? Making just slight changes in your every day routine will compound over time, and you’ll be standing in an entirely different place 12 months from now. Isn’t that exciting?
The process doesn’t have to be huge, it doesn’t have to be stressful. Start by replacing small things that are a waste of time with better, more productive choices.
Learn more about your finances and your investments. A good place to begin is with my audio series, 7 Deadly Traps of Investing. By taking the time to listen to this audio series, you’ll become aware of the pitfalls, traps, and schemes that are going on in the market. You’ll learn how to recognize financial salespeople whose main objective is to sell you products to earn a commission. You’ll learn about hidden fees and become aware of places you may be losing money. These are steps you can take today that can change your future
Instead of time just slipping away from us, we can work with time to build a better tomorrow.